460 Bellefontaine StreetPasadena, CA 91105
Year Built: 1913
- The Ware House, a Greene & Greene-designed 1913 English Revival
Sold for: $1,930,000Offered at: $2,100,000
MLS Number: 22139591
The Ware House, built in 1913 by Greene & Greene, is a deftly executed English Revival set on nearly a half-acre in Southwest Pasadena. A spectacular staircase defines the home, connecting three levels with six bedrooms, six and one-half baths, den and many other rooms.
Its formal entrance faces west, away from the street, for privacy. The remarkable dining room is classically English, with dark oak paneling surrounding leaded glass windows, original brass fixtures and a stately cast-stone fireplace designed by Ernest A. Batchelder. In contrast, the classic California living room opens to the garden, and features wire brushed redwood trim that forms the soft roll of the soffit, an early use of indirect lighting, and complements the tile fireplace. The kitchen looks onto the street, which was unusual in its day, but a requirement of the original owner. Sensible service rooms — butler’s and baking pantries, back porch, maid’s rooms with baths, private den and motor entrance — complete the first floor.
The staircase ascends with split levels and gentle landings to form a three-dimensional core for the house. On the second floor, there are four bedrooms, including a gracious master suite with balcony, four baths and three Batchelder fireplaces. Subtle detailing and design highlight each family bedroom. Above, the stairs continue to the third floor, with four rooms and one bath. The Greenes originally envisioned this area as an artist’s studio. Over the years, these spaces have evolved through game rooms, dark room, trunk room, sewing room and repositories for family and community history.
Original finishes and most original fixtures are found throughout each floor in this extraordinarily intact example of pre-WWI revival architecture. More recent updates include subtle lighting enhancements, copper plumbing and rebuilt chimneys. The Ware House enjoys Mills Act status for reduced property taxes, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.